No matter how large your agricultural property is, it’s essential that you’re staying on top of your property’s irrigation needs.
Hopefully, these tips will help you better understand the importance of proper irrigation as well as how to focus on setup, maintenance, and optimization:
- Hire a professional for irrigation installation — It doesn’t matter how much knowledge you have about irrigation system motors, the professionals know more. Rather than attempting to set up agriculture motors and irrigation systems yourself, consult with experienced professionals.
- Focus on water efficiency — If you have your irrigation installed on a separate water meter, you’ll have a much better chance at saving water and, subsequently, saving money.
- Have a rain shut-off switch equipped — Rain shut-off sensors are inexpensive and can be retrofitted to virtually any irrigation system. Rather than overwatering your agricultural property with all your irrigation system motors fully functioning during a heavy rainstorm, these sensors will help you save water and energy usage.
- Don’t forget about equipment maintenance — Equipment is one of the leading expenditures for farmers when it comes to irrigation. In fact, these agricultural producers spent approximately $2.6 billion on irrigation equipment, land improvements, computer tech, and facilities back in 2013. Since irrigation equipment can be quite expensive, it’s imperative that you stay on top of maintenance year-round.
- Have your irrigation system inspected — It’s one thing to give maintenance repair professionals a call when you yourself notice any physical issues with your irrigation system, but you need to schedule a thorough inspection at least once or twice a year to ensure that everything is working properly. You might not be able to identify irrigation leaks, which can be giant wastes of water, but irrigation professionals certainly can.
- Have your irrigation system winterized — It takes specialized equipment to fully winterize your irrigation system in order to flush out all the water that would otherwise freeze and break valves, sprinklers, and pipes.
If you want to learn more about setting up efficient irrigation system motors, using single-phase motors, or electric irrigation pumps, give Single Phase Power Solutions a call today.